Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's Primary Day - Polls are Open Noon - 9

When I turned 18, I was so excited to finally register to vote, yet I didn't want to be affiliated with one political party. If I recall at first, I was not. When my dad got wind of what I'd done, he sat me down and explained that here in NYS, if you want to have a real voice at the polls, enrolling in a party is the way to go. I took his advice. I don't think it's hard to guess which party when you put the pieces together...
I live in Albany
+ originally from NYC
+ I use public transit.
= ________________(Not so hard to figure out).

I show up and cast my vote. I think it's genetic.

I'm what they call a "triple prime voter" which means I vote every single time I have the opportunity - general elections, primaries, special elections, school budget and library votes. And yes, I take my daughter with me - as does her dad.

Candidates work really hard to get us triple primes to vote their way. This summer, in the 21st Congressional District where I live there's a 5-way congressional race - with 4 candidates who have very similar positions. This means I've been bombarded with mail pieces, robo-calls, and calls from volunteers. I've even been home a couple of times when folks came to my door -- though it's hard to find me home during canvassing hours because I'm often out myself volunteering for the candidate I think is best.

I dig elections.

If you're enrolled in a party - you can join the triple primes today. If you don't know where to vote, call your county's Board of Elections.

Exercise your rights. Vote today. Polls are open from noon until 9.

2 comments:

Shaun said...

It is too bad that politicians continue to exempt themselves from Do Not Call law.

StopPoliticalCalls.org is fighting for the privacy of the American voter.

1 - Creating a Political Do Not Call Registry
2 - Testifying in the US Senate about robo calls (Sen. Feinstein’s Robocall Privacy Act)
3 - Forcing states to enforce existing robo call laws (CA, MN, NJ, etc..)
4 - Getting politicians to take a do not robo call pledge (7 have)

As I testified at the US. Senate these robo calls are an epidemic and this election cycle “phone spam” and are invading the privacy of All American Voters.

Our members are taking a stand and saying enough is enough at the National Political Do Not Contact Registry at StopPoliticalCalls.org.

Here is a quote from a member recently:

"I'm a shift worker, working variable shifts. I depend on my sleep to be able to do my job safely and efficiently. I'm a locomotive engineer. Imagine the disaster were I to fall asleep, operating a freight train carrying hazardous materials in your neighborhood, due to fatigue from being awoken in my middle of the night on a continuous basis during election season. Please stop.."

Learn more.

Shaun Dakin
CEO
Www.StopPoliticalCalls.org
A non-profit fighting for the privacy of the American voter

belleshpgrl said...

I vote like you do, all the time and educated. It's something I take very seriously. Go democracy!